Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Research

I have done so much research in the past few weeks. I was looking for everything and anything that could help me prepare and also general information about the Bounty and it's history. I did find some great photos on Flickr and then proceeded to contact those people and see what information they could give me that would have helped. And they helped a lot.

I also read everything on wiki and read any kinda tall ship website I could find. Also of course YouTube was a big help.

Even better, I'm proud of myself that I've read Mutiny on the Bounty, the one by Nordhoff and Hall. The '62 movie was based on that book, and that book is based on facts, not the facts. So I read and watched both of those. Also watched a thing on the HMS Pandora.

Here's some of the things I really liked and thought helped.




Videos:


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever want to chat extensively about the 1935, 1962 and 1984 movies, I'm game. I wrote a frickin' thesis about them. :P I'd forward it to you except it's not in English.

    For books I really recommend Captain Bligh and Mr Christian by Richard Hough, it's a little lax on citing sources but gives a great account of the mutiny (the 1984 movie was loosely based on it). Glynn Christian's Fragile Paradise is very interesting too as the man is a descendant of Fletcher and so goes exploring his own past. And White Star Publishers has printed a really really nice edition of William Bligh's own account of the mutiny- I mention this edition because it includes the transcript of the proceedings of the court-martial, which is essentially a Q and A with the captured mutineers(!!).

    In that same vein, Sam Mc Kinney's 'Bligh: A True Account of Mutiny aboard H.M.S. Bounty' is a fantastic source because it lines up, chronologically, the accounts of several different sources as well as separately established facts.

    ReplyDelete