Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The boat is killing me

I think the boat is trying to kill me, in the last week and a half I’ve injured myself more than usual. I ripped my right toenail tripping over the ‘crew only’ sign at the bottom of the brow, scrapped and bruised left shin from falling in the hawse pipe, bruised right knee hitting it on a step coming out of the engine room, burned my left elbow on the exhaust pipe in the engine room trying to put a bolt in for the engine casing lid and my right shoulder and head hurt from just being alive.

But this morning when we got up it was foggy and wet, cleared up later, got some wind and sun. I also got a new pet for awhile, a huge dragon fly that I named Jerrold, after it’s wings dried it started to flutter around some more and it became annoying so I pushed him off and he flew away.

For work party we ended up setting and then furling, as we were furling we got a giant gust of wind that blew us over on to one heel and then the next. The headsails were flogging so badly that I was afraid they were going to rip. The weather cleared and we came into Thunder Bay, Ontario around 1700.

I was getting ready for bed when Richard told us we could see the northern lights. He said he saw them on his way back to the boat and walked back quickly so he could tell us. They weren’t spectacular, just a green smudge in the sky, but at least I saw them.

Jerrold.
Fog
Richard singing.
Northern Lights.


1 comment:

  1. It was a pleasure sailing with you from Duluth into Thunder Bay!! Learned so much in my 2 days aboard as passenger... I was volunteer coordinator for Bounty visits Thunder Bay. Too bad you guys weren't in another day I would have driven you around to some sights. Hope to cross paths again. HMS BOUNTY is a beautiful ship!

    ReplyDelete