Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tons of food

Today was the most stressful crazy day I’ve ever had on the boat. In the morning Brooke helped me with last minute cleaning things and other people who finished their jobs came in and helped too. Our order arrived around 0930, everyone got in a line and things started to slowly come down, I put Brooke in charge of canned goods, directing where they needed to go and un packaging them. We had 11 pallets of stuff to unload, 6 of them were frozen things. After the first one was done the hydraulic jack they had broke, so there was a long wait for the truck to move closer to the boat, we were able to put everything from that first shipment away.

The truck moved closer and food rained down like a thunderstorm. A few times I got really overwhelmed and asked them to slow down a little. When the frozen meat came on that’s when I got really stressed. I filled two freezers and I still wasn’t done putting chicken away. Chris came in and really helped me out putting things away and moving things around. Everyone was in on the unpacking of boxes and throwing meat to the freezers. It was cool when the 300 pounds of coffee came down because they wer elight enough to just toss to the next person. Eventually everything was on the boat and things were being put away slowly.

Brooke and Sam took care of all the canned goods and I’m very thankful that it all got put away in an organized fashion, both in the overheads in the galley and down below in dry stores. By lunch time not all the frozen goods had been put away, because there was no more room. John and Chris went out to buy another freezer, once it was on the boat and plugged in I was able to fill it. Meat was first, fish, bacon and meatballs mostly, then some frozen vegetables. Everything wasn’t going to fit, I was really strating to stress out, but Rebecca said I should take out whatever I’m going to cook this week, that helped a lot. At the end of it we only have one and half ice chests filled with stuff that won’t fit, hopefully tomorrow I’ll be able to move more things around.

The refrigerators on the other hand are full as well, the port one is filled with butter, garlic, guacamole and tortillas. The starboard is full of veggies and cheese.

By three o’clock everything was pretty much put away. Matt worked on storing some lettuce and I started dinner, coconut chicken curry and eggplant with spinach.

I declared that it was a night for mojitos.

Wall of butter and garlic.
Bread.
New freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment