Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Forward look out ice cube

Another really hard night to get some sleep, at least this time I had a lot more space in my rabbit hole for me to curl up in. Katie came and bothered me when she got off her watch, but I was kind of awake anyway. Maisie woke me up this morning and said it was cold and rainy and that layering would be a good idea. Suited up with pants, foulie pants, sweatshirt, foulie jacket and foulie boots. It was only a light sprinkle when we got on deck and we were all “where’s the torrential down pour?” We’d had so much water everyone on our last watch that this was nothing. Before C watch departed we set the fore course because the weather was getting better, it’s really hard to climb in foulie gear.

It was getting really windy and while on bow watch I turned into an ice cube, luckily boat check was next to I grabbed another coat and turned into a marshmallow. I was like that kid from ‘A Christmas Story’ who has so many layers he can’t move his arms, but man was I every toasty warm.

The night was pretty cloudy, but got to see the full moon here and there, it was huge and the moon set was amazing. Huge orange ball slowly setting with strips of clouds here and there.

At some point while I was doing a boat check Peter used the chip log and it was not made fast to the boat so some how it just pulled out over their hands. It being too dark to have a Dutchman really work Peter tried to spot a bit of foam on the water and run down the length of the deck with it, usually it was too fast for him and I don’t think all that accurate.

Around 0630 we got a radio from an air craft carrier number 75 asking what our intentions were and telling us where they were and where they planed to go. After they radioed us we looked for them but couldn’t see then for a long time, then they slowly appeared. By the time B watch took the deck there were three ships all together. After breakfast I came back on deck and there was a fourth, we know there has to be a submarine out there with them some where, just hoping it’ll surface near us.

When Cory said to set the fore topmast staysail I knew that was my queue to get off the deck so I wouldn’t be sucked into helping.

Sadly that was my last 4 to 8 for awhile, we dog today and don’t have work party.

No comments:

Post a Comment