Sunday, March 28, 2010

NP1ing Aloft

I like getting up a little before lunch because then I can mingle a bit with who ever has the deck, checked on the birds and talked to Zach this morning.

Another successful day, had a MOB drill, this time it was different because the weather was worse and the waves splashing a lot more. Then Robin talked about the fourth kind of emergency situation that no one expects, a micro burst, a small storm coming from out of no where and hitting you, we have to be able to put sail away super fast. We talked about how its not only about putting sail away but turning so the wind is aback.

The weather has gotten a lot heavier and we’re listing to port a whole lot, at times it’s like running up hill on the tweens. So we put away the fore and main topgallant that were set this morning. John and Katie took down the jib because it was bent on upside down and Dan told me I had an interesting NP1 job, how interesting could NP1ign get? Well very interesting, I went aloft to the main top and NP1ed the mast, I didn’t finish because it started to rain but there is more below the top, I’ll have to stand on the crinolines.

Watch went by super fast today, after everyone ate it was decided to put away the foretopsail. It wasn’t too bad, as soon as you get on the yard you just swim for sail, grab as much as you can and hold it so it doesn’t whack someone. The yard kept jerking which made it that much more fun, the braces were a little slack. Dan later said that on Niagra her yards don’t have yokes so the whole yard moves from side to side.

I felt like the rest of the watch consisted of me running the chip log and plotting on the charts and then bilges, boat check and dishes. And now it’s starting to rain, I hope it quits in 8 hours so I don’t have to be in the rain too much.

Julio and Me.
Jesse at the helm.
and Brooke.
Peter and his amazing hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment