Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fish!

Today was calmer but we were still going about 6 knots. I like it when I get up at my usual time but breakfast is easy like cold cereal and oatmeal and I hang out on deck with the 4 to 8 watch, that was always my favorite, I love mornings. The royal sail is still being worked on, Tenley, Brooke and Laura still stitching away, Matt is working on mast wedges and some Dutchmen and some foot ropes are being served. Everything is settling in nicely.

Yesterday and today Robin has commented on my cooking. He’s impressed with how well I’m doing, knowing that I might not have been fully prepared for the position and never cooked this long for this many people. He also said that it wouldn’t have surprised him if we had cold cereal for dinner last night because we were being jostled around so much by the sea.

In the afternoon we also talked a bit about snacks for the crew, underway working 12 hours a day and specially night watches works up an appetite. Usually there is always peanut butter and jelly of some sorts out and leftovers for them to snack on, but you really have to have something quick because you’re running from one watch position to the next. There is an idle on watch, if your not doing chores, handling lines or pumping bilges then your doing some navigation, checking the weather and studying the stars. Even basic things like potatoes or rice would be good to grab, but also bread and some kind of cookie, the way to do that without me spending time on it would to have the 12 to 4 watch do it. We’d talked to before about the watch making bread, I did that last year, but I have a lot of bread that I don’t want to go bad, but I guess it’s time they start making it for snack time, or some other dessert.

Jesse whipping a line.
Grant serving.
Richard and Tenley.

No comments:

Post a Comment