Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Patch Serve

Being a Tuesday it was the day to work in the rig, I’m thankful it only comes once a week. Tsveta refreshed us on how to patch serve so we could go do it on the main mast, Katie and I were on the course yard and Kat and Josh did things around the top and topsail yard. It was really hard to get out there and then get comfy enough to be able to let go and use your hands to do the work. What ended up happening was Katie and I actually sitting on the yard, straddling it at times to do the work. I did things closer to the mast because I got a little freaked out being way out there on the yard, I’m glad that Katie is a little braver than I am.

Patch serving is not all that bad once you are comfy and have all your things with you. To patch serve you grease the cable, wrap parceling (strips of old sheets) with the lay of the cable, apply more grease, then tightly wrap marlin in the opposite direction of the lay of the cable. You’re suppose to pull it very tight, use your marlins spike and a marlin spike hitch to pull it even tighter.

I ended up doing patch serve on the horse footrope and eye, as well as some cables that hold up the yard.

Meanwhile Ashley and Rebecca painted the other half of aft crew only painting every other step so that we could still go up and down cautiously. They also sanded the front legs of the helm and later Rebecca gave it one coat of varnish for starters. Sam started to re-caulk the hull and Peter pained the aft hatch stairs. Got a lot done today, very productive, I have a feeling that tomorrow will go slower.

Old patch serve, needs to be redone.

No comments:

Post a Comment