Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Southern Wind

The Southern Wind

The day was so long and I don’t even remember much of what happened in the morning. We went aloft, cleaned as usual and then started work party. It was also really windy, the southern wind was hitting us hard against the dock.

For work today Katie and I went over the stern and hand sanded the cornucopia. That was some experience. We got the staging down, we climbed down and got settled in, clipped in with our harness, we were tilting a bit back but for the time it was okay. But no, we had to climb back up and help pick up the dock lines because we thought we were going to move. In the end we didn’t leave the dock, it was just windy all day and pushing us into the dock. So pulled up the dock lines and coiled them. Had Tsvets help adjust the staging and put it back over and climbed back down. Wiped it down with a wet rag because it was really grey from the exhaust of the engines and other nasty weather. Sanded by hand for as much as we could reach. Came up so that we could move the staging over but ended up eating and came back after lunch. Came back and finished up what we could reach. Came back up and that time it was a lot harder because it was just that much lower and I couldn’t reach the cap rail, couldn’t get my fingers over the edge. Katie was there holding my arm and good thing she was because I might have given up and fallen over. It was really hard for me to get over, the inside of my arms are pretty bruised. I thought my brother got beat up pretty bad working on the TS Golden Bear, ha, for get that, he doesn't have to climb over crap and almost fall over the side.

Today we also put up and down the gangway a few days

Once again still some more wind, started to help Ashley wood bleach the railing around the fore mast where belay pins are kept and lines tied to from the fore mast. But it started to rain, so we all ran inside.

Then Kat and I got to clean aft crew, sweep the floors and shop vac. We also had our wood door taken down, and a sheet put up for a door, it’s a rainbow stripped curtain. I also turned my bed around because apparently my head was the facing the wrong way, only dead men sleep aft.

After that just fiddled around a bit, had dinner and took a shower. My hair was really nasty, super salty, stiff and many knots. Now just chilling out.

I also have some small bites or bumps on my right hand, very itchy, don’t know where they came from.

Tsveta is currently sweeping the galley, and it really amazes me how much dirt collects on the floor at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment