Sunday, December 13, 2009

Why does the ocean have to ruin my paint job?

Today was really annoying.

The mystery tool that I found yesterday was something used for shackles. It twists the mousing wire, but no one really likes it.

Went up to the royal again and got Katie up as well so that was good, but Chuck decided to come up as well and that was not so good. He kept grabbing the wrong things and Katie had to keep telling him he couldn’t hold on there, like the foot rope we were standing on and he was about to put is foot on a line holding up the topgallant.

Then Ashley, Grant, Kat and I had to paint more of the hull but the ocean was being horrible! It kept slapping up at us, getting the sanders wet and then getting us wet. One time a wave came up and some how got down the front of my shirt but didn’t get anything else wet and one time Kat got splashed in the face. The waves kept trying to get in the paint bucket and did get my brush wet so I had to switch it out because it’s oil paint. In the long run Kat and I didn’t paint our whole section down to the water line because the water kept splashing at it, stupid ocean!

So we came up and complained to Peter about how the ocean was being annoying and it was just silly for us to try and paint. After some deliberating with Caleb it was decided to have us start working on the red at the bow. First off the paint that’s on there is latex and what we had to use for the new red is oil, that means we had to try and scrap off as much as we could. It was so hard, Kat and I were getting no where on our side while Grant just powered through it on his side with Ashley sanding behind him. At a few points I was just too tired to scrape so I started to peel off the latex and tried to see how big of a whole piece I could get. The biggies hole long strip was about a foot long.

Scraped, sanded, spirited and painted. We didn’t have too much time to paint so only got a bit done.

We finished early so that Peter and Rebecca could go over a few things about the parts of a sail and where the lines on the fife rail and pin rail go to and their order. I think I understand the basics of the lines and where the go … ish. There is a lot to know and honestly I’m a little confused.

The reason why they were making sure we know a bit and where things are because tomorrow we are going on an adventure … for fuel. Just motoring over to a different dock to get some fuel, but after that we are going to go out a bit and sail a little for two reasons. One, so that we can dump our grey water tanks and two because while we are gone more supports are going to be added to the pylons at the dock because we kind of bashed into them from the wind. Some of the tour guides are coming as well.

Kat and my side.
Grant's side. Not fair.
Cooper, the crew's dog, kind of.

No comments:

Post a Comment