Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Black and Sticky

Today was a huge workday. Tackled some other things that are harder to do when the public is here. Went aloft this morning just for practice, I wasn’t as confident almost so it seemed scarier. And to all those books where they say climbing through the lubbers hole is for sissy, well bring it on, I’m going to be using it for awhile.

After the usual washing of the tween and weather deck we went to work. Caleb also showed us how to roll up the fire hoses properly, with the male end on top and shorter so that when rolled the female end protects the male threads. Then we took up the slack on an the aft starboard anchor, which meant we got to try out the capstan. We all jumped at the chance to try it out, usually mechanical winches are used for the anchor, but this was just a small quick thing. Put in the bars and went around a few times, Caleb pointed out that its better to press your chest against the bar with your hands to the side instead of just your hands and arms extended in front of you. Also when you stop to take a rest and maybe re adjust the line or something you take out the spars so that incase one of the metal things breaks and the capstan spins out of control your not in the way and also your not hit by a spar.

Ashley went over the side to paint something by the anchor with Katie’s help. Tsveta, Kat and I went aloft to touch up the yard arms and the masts. I started on the main top yard and after that I was really toasted, muscles jello-ie. After lunch I helped Kat with the fore mast touchups, after that I knew I wouldn’t be able to do any more.

Rebecca had me finish up the helm. Gave a light sand and then whipped it down with turpentine, oh the fumes. After there started to varnish, only got one layer on when I needed to move and varnish the railing of the aft stairs that Maisie had prepped for me. Only got one coat and a bit on that before I was out of varnish and had to clean up for the day.

Varnishing is not all that bad, I enjoy it except for the fumes and being all sticky after.

I also officially have boat fingers, junk stuck on your hands, under your fingernails and such like. Also my Turks head bracelet is really going down hill and fast, rather funny how fast it got dirty compared to when I had had it on for about three weeks.

Captain Robin came today as well, haven’t talked to him much, but I’m sure I’ll have more to report later.


No comments:

Post a Comment